Never ever put IPs into nameservers of your domain @ dommel!

Zit je met opmerkingen en een paar vragen over dommel / schedom? Post ze dan hier maar.
Plaats reactie
Scotchy49
Starter
Starter

Hi,

I, one week ago, did change the nameservers of my domain at dommel and I did put IPs of the nameservers instead of the FQDN.

What happened is that the domain name now is completely frozen, I can't change the nameservers again, the domain is scotchy.be and it isn't assigned to any nameservers.
I called dommel twice this week and they always promise me to look into it and that it will be okay in 24 to 48 hours (dns propagation, lol.) but I know I will wait forever for the domain to work back.

Just an advise :)
gr4vity
Erelid
Erelid
Bedankt: 2 keer
Contacteer:

Where did you change those nameservers? Because normaly it isn't possible to assign IP's as nameservers. Only if you make glue records of them this will be possible and I don't think the dommel system can do this on batch.
Afbeelding Afbeelding Afbeelding
staartmees
Plus Member
Plus Member

Geef mij 1 goede reden waarom het nodig is om die nameservers te wijzigen, Afblijven is de boodschap!!
Nu moet je inderdaad wachten tot dommel het nodige gedaan heeft en dan nog iets van een 48 uur eer die wijziging overal doorgevoerd is.
ttts
Starter
Starter

Heb mijn nameservers veranderd, de volgende dag waren ze bruikbaar zonder enig probleem!
Scotchy49
Starter
Starter

The domain name is scotchy.be you can do a whois and you'll see there is no nameservers associated with it.

All I did was putting IPs and it did screw up everything. Right maybe I shouldn't have put IPs, but I did. The thing to worry about is that it takes forever to repair, if ever it will be repaired by dommel.

If you put FQDN nameservers it will work ok, but if you put in IPs, it won't work anymore, even if you put FQDN nameservers after that.

And yeah, a good reason to change those nameservers is if you have your own dedicated server. In that case if you want to use the domain with your server you HAVE to change the nameservers =)
gr4vity
Erelid
Erelid
Contacteer:

Scotchy49, I'm sure the problem will be solved, don't know when. But it will be fixed I think.

Just keep calling and they will fix it sooner or later ;)

I'm not sure they will make glue records for you. My advise is to use FQDN names in stead, this could fix the problem quicker.
Afbeelding Afbeelding Afbeelding
Goendi
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Twitter: goendi
Contacteer:

All I did was putting IPs and it did screw up everything. Right maybe I shouldn't have put IPs, but I did. The thing to worry about is that it takes forever to repair, if ever it will be repaired by dommel.

That's normal... NS records by default are to be listing a hostname. IP's are reserved for the A records wich go along with it....
FlashBlue
Erelid
Erelid
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 1055 keer
Bedankt: 317 keer

True Goendi, but that does not mean that dommel should have created that part of the app without implementing a validity check for the nameserver field, since you cannot assume that everyone has the required knowledge to know that they can only fill in fqdn's as nameserver ...

Almost every (commercial or not) dns control panel on the market has an input validator on the nameserver field, but off course this is dommel ...
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Dommel”